I wanted to make a soft tofu dish (see here for recipe) but didn’t have any Japanese soup stock (also known as ‘dashi) in the the cupboard. Silly me, I’ve always bought Spiral’s pre-made kombu (seaweed) and shitake mushroom stock instead of making my own. But how hard can it be? So I boiled up some water and added some sea vegetables and dried mushrooms I had, and voila! Ready to go! After evaporation, 3 cups of water made about 1 1/2 cups of stock.
3 cups of water
1 handful of dried shitake mushrooms
1 handful of sea vegetables or kombu (both types of seaweed)
1. Boil water in a small saucepan.
2. Add shitake mushrooms and seaweed to the water.
3. Turn heat down so pot is simmering.
4. Cook for 20 minutes until the stock is a lovely ‘tea’ colour.
5. Drain contents, retain the stock so it’s now ready to use and keep the seaweed and mushrooms to add to your favourite dish.
6. Exclaim, “Wow! That was soooooooo easy!”
Japanese food… the flavours speak for themselves!
An original for Vegematarian.