I’ve seen this dairy-free and vegan recipe on quite a few websites and the Melbourne Summer inspired me to give it a go. Forget your fancy shmancy icecream makers, this is the bomb and takes no time at all to make. PLUS it’s great for those bananas going over-ripe in your bowl. You’ll need to be organised and freeze your bananas for at least 4 hours.
This recipe serves 2 people.
2 to 3 ripe bananas
1 tablespoon of creamy peanut butter or nut butter of your choice
1 tablespoon of honey or agave (to sweeten if needed)
1. Freeze your bananas by placing them in their skins in the freezer.
2. Remove bananas from freezer. The easiest way to peel them is to put the bananas in the microwave for 30 seconds to one minute until the skin defrosts a little and starts to soften.
3. Peel the bananas and put the fruit in a food processor.
4. Puree for 30 seconds or so. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Don’t over puree or you’ll get banana slop. If you over blend, place the ice cream in a bowl and back in the freezer for an hour (stirring every 10 minutes or so) to harden.
5. Add the peanut butter and pulse the food processor blades a little bit more to lightly combine.
6. Taste and add sweetener if needed.
7. Serve immediately or refreeze until ready to enjoy. Would be nice with some sprinkled nuts on top.
Many thanks to all who have shared this recipe. It’s a WINNER!